The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
Fourth Conversation:
He [Brother Lawrence] told me that all consists in one hearty renunciation of everything which we are sensible does not lead to God. That we might accustom ourselves to a continual conversation with Him, with freedom and in simplicity. That we need only to recognize God intimately present with us, to address ourselves to Him every moment, that we may beg His assistance for knowing His will, in things doubtful, and for rightly performing those which we plainly see He requires of us, offering them to Him before we do them, and giving Him thanks when we have done.
Response Questions:
1. What things in your life does not lead you towards God? How can you go about renouncing such impediments?
2. Think about your daily routines. Where can you begin to recognize God's presence throughout your day?
3. Are there times when something great happens to you, and you automatically resort to self-praise for achieving that great moment, instead of lifting up your achievements to God? Are there minor blessing in your life that you can just pause and offer up to the Lord and give Him thanks?
Homework:
1. Respond to one of the above questions by next Tuesday, Jan. 20th.
2. In the next week, try to be cognizant of God's presence. Post a comment by next Tuesday, Jan 20th, about at least one moment where you paused to recognize God's presence, renounced something that didn't lead you toward God, lifted up praise to the Lord for something good that occurred during the week, or any other way that you experienced a higher level of spiritual growth.
Thinking about the past does not lead me towards God. I suppose I could renounce these impediments by praising God for the present good.
ReplyDeleteI saw three hawks on Tuesday, it encouraged me that God is with me. After the service regarding the Pentecost last week, I was asking God about the Holy Spirit in me. I saw a herd of deer on Tuesday morning and the 3 hawks during my day running around...Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
I believe it was Thursday when I was doing Nick and Nicoles basement, I wasn't feeling very sure about anything really especially when the floor chemical didn't work.but instantly my attitude change too confident and content no matter what and an increase in optimism for whatever lies ahead. I still have uncertainty but that just comes with the territory of being human I guess. But knowing that there's a constant presence with God and focusing on that a little more each day has lightened the load and brightened each moment.
ReplyDeleteA couple things that are an impediment are Facebook and tv. Both are not bad as standalone entities but they are distractions more than anything. Usually not edifying, usually garbage.
ReplyDelete